President-elect Obama has selected key members of his cabinet to be nominated. Here is the list of which I am aware, in order of succession.
- Secretary of State: Hilary Clinton
- Secretary of the Treasury: Timothy Geithner
- Secretary of Defense: Robert Gates
- Attorney General: Eric Holder
- Secretary of Commerce: Bill Richardson
- Secretary of Homeland Security: Janet Nepalitano
Here are some key members of his staff he has named:
- Director of OMB: Lawrence Summers
- National Security Advisor: James Jones
- Press Secretary: Robert Gibbs
- Ellen Moran
These choices do not reflect a radical shift from the Clinton era but rather a subtle change. This is probably a good thing, since Clinton seemed to have gotten it mostly right. The most provocative choices, of course, are Senator Clinton and Ellen Moran.
Ellen Moran, coming from Emily’s List sends a strong message that the issues that group holds dear will be front and center in an Obama administration. The right will certainly not be pleased with such a choice.
And it’s not clear who should be pleased with Mrs Clinton as a choice for Secretary of State, aside from perhaps President Clinton, as she has very limited foreign policy experience, and clearly does not see eye to eye with the President-elect regarding Iraq. Worse, she has her hands dirty with her vote to go to war, having perhaps lost a primary over that very issue.
In the meantime, the President-elect is very busily cleaning out southwester governors’ mansions with the choices of Janet Nepolitano and Bill Richardson. Perhaps he will name Arnold Schwarzenegger back to his old job as head of the President’s Council on Health and Fitness.