Happy Bastille Day!
It was on this day in 1789 that The Bastille itself was stormed, it having become a symbol of oppression where many folks lost their heads. Let’s take a moment to recount just a few things the French have brought the world (and for now we’ll exclude french fries, french toast, and frenching).
- French Wine— France offers a wide variety of reds and whites, including some interesting sparkling reds. Chateua Nuef de Pape, Cotes du Rhone, and the big ones like Pomerol are something they’ve given me.
- Bread— Nobody does a better croissant than France. Napoleon even erected a fort in the Alps to keep the Italians from stealing all the good bread. Italians need to learn how to make bread like the french.
- The Statue of Liberty— a remarkable lady whose purpose seems forgotten in this unkind time.
- The United States of America— Without Lafayette there would have been no U.S.A.
- The Citroen— without this peace of junk, there is no way the big three could have lasted as long as they have.
- The Crepe— need I say more.
So Happy Birthday, France! Salut!